• Aquatic Centre - entrance off Apollo St near Primary School. Outdoor pool with lap lanes, recreational and kiddies pool. More details.
• Arts - Mansfield Arts Council - see website www.artsmansfield.com
- MMuDS (Mansfield Musical and Dramatic Society)
- For information about productions contact Michele Padbury - phone: (03) 5775 1018 or website.
- Performing Arts Centre (the PAC), is a distinctive architect-designed building of corrugated iron, located next to Mansfield Secondary College, View Street. It is the venue of many local and outside live performances throughout the year. Whats On.
• Botanic Gardens
Situated at the east end of Mansfield's High Street, on the left just over the bridge. An ideal place for a picnic or a walk. Very peaceful, with free electric BBQs, toilets, cricket pitch, playground equipment and a small lake frequented by birdlife.
- Mansfield Campdraft Club Inc hosts an annual Campdraft in March. Catering and bar facilities available all weekend. See Whats On.
- Look for old graves of early settlers and people of historical importance at local cemeteries. Mansfield's cemetery is located at the southern end of Highett Street, on the corner of Stoneleigh Road, and is well worth a visit. Burial records dating back to 1860 are available.
- Mansfield has designated cycle lanes on the main streets.
- Cycle along the
- High Country Cycle Challenge is held in March. Organise a team for the 220 km ride around the High Country in 3 stages, finishing with a party on Mt Buller.
- The Mansfield area's hotels, restaurants, cafés and the Mansfield Golf Club, cater for many types of dining and wining. Great places to eat.
- check Whats On page for dates.
- Mansfield-Mt Buller High Country Festival and Spring Arts Walk as part of the High Country Festival, October and November of each year. More information on www.artsmansfield.com.
- The Mansfield Autumn Harvest Festival is held on Labour Day weekend in March. The festival features a variety of stalls, music, and attractions and is an ideal family outing.
- Upper Goulburn Wine Vintage Celebrations. Information.
- Galleries in Mansfield and surrounds exhibiting work by local artists, woodworkers and craftspeople. Visit Made In Mansfield, High Street Mansfield, two doors from the roundabout, and see a range of locally made pieces in various media. More details
- Visitors are always welcome at the Mansfield Golf Club in Kidston Parade for golf, dining and at the Pro Shop for all golfing requirements and tuition.
Information: (03) 5775 2628. More details.
• Helicopter flights
- Helicopter flights around the high country are available from Alpine Helicopter Charter.
• Heritage Walk
- Jamieson Heritage Walk is a self-conducted walk/drive around the Jamieson township, showing points and buildings of historical interest.
- Call in to the Mansfield Historical Society's rooms for a copy of their historical walk around the Mansfield township.
• High Country Maze
- 678 Piries-Goughs Bay Rd, Goughs Bay, VIC
The maze itself is 40m x 40m and has 4 corners and a main centre to find, along with other features along the way. Come and lose yourself in a fun filled day for all the family.
- 03 57773190 or email@example.com
- All details on website
- Open: 29th & 30th October 2011, 26th - 30th December 2011, 6th - 8th April 2012
- Opening hours 10:00 am to 5:00 pm Saturday & Sunday from 17th November 2011 to 27th May 2012.
- Mansfield Historical Society has a wealth of information about the history of Mansfield and surrounds - displays, historical files, microfiche, photos, memorabilia, maps. Situated at the old Mansfield railway station, Station Precinct, Maroondah Highway.
Contact: Sheena Daykin (03) 5779 1094
- Jamieson Historical Society - information on the Jamieson area. Displays etc at the old Jamieson Courthouse. Do the Heritage Walk. (see above for link to page)
Contact: Barbara Bateson (03) 5777 0690
• Horse Racing
- Mansfield - Horse racing picnic meetings are held at Mansfield Racecourse in November (the Mansfield Cup) and December. Bring a picnic, dress up and enjoy a fun day. Food vendors, drinks available.
- Merton - Races are held at the Merton Racecourse on New Year's Day.
• Jamieson Scenic Walks and Drives
- Information and print-friendly sheet.
• Kelly Tree, Stringybark Creek, Tolmie
- The Kelly Tree, where the gunfight between the Kelly Gang and Mansfield police took place in 1878, is a 30 minute drive from Mansfield, in Stringybark Reserve, on Tolmie-Tatong Road (off Mansfield-Whitfield Road). Toilets nearby.
• Lake Nillahcootie
- A great place for a picnic, swimming, boating, fishing or just sitting while enjoying the scenery and birdlife. Just 20 minutes drive from Mansfield on the Benalla Road.
Boat ramp, BBQ facilities, toilets available.
• Mansfield Agricultural and Pastoral Society Inc
- At the Showgrounds the Society hosts the Victorian Championship Utility Yard Dog Trials and Gymkhana on Easter Saturday, the Annual Mansfield Rodeo and the Annual Show, both in November. See Whats On page
• Museum - “Bimbi” Car and Memorabilia, Jamieson. An incredible display of restored cars and memorabilia, at Waterson Road, Jamieson. Entry by gold coin donation and all proceeds to Mansfield Hospital, CFA or other local charities. Call Steve or Carol on 5777 0733.
Open Friday to Monday 9am-5pm. Closed Good Friday, Anzac Day, Christmas Day.
• Rail Trail
Open between Bonnie Doon and Mansfield. The trail in its entirety - Tallarook to Mansfield - is now open. Ride or walk all or some of the 22km Goulburn River High Country Rail Trail - through farming country, and crossing Lake Eildon at Bonnie Doon. Enjoy the spectacular scenery of North East Victoria while cycling, walking or horse riding along the trail. Cross over Lake Eildon on the 385m Bonnie Doon Bridge, traverse through serene farming country. Drinking water is limited along the trail, so carry food and water with you. Refer www.victorianrailtrails.com.au for trail updates.
- Mansfield Rodeo is held in November at the Showgrounds.
- The Merrijig Rodeo is held on Labour Day weekend.
- Held on the third Saturday in November, this is a fun day for all the family, with a wide range of activities and sights.
- The Mansfield shops are mainly situated in High and Highett Streets, Maroondah Highway and Mt Buller Road, with others scattered around the town. Take a stroll through the arcades and side streets off High Street and be pleasantly surprised.
They cater for a wide range of needs: clothing, children's toys, books, hairdressers and beauty treatments, plenty of retail food outlets, sporting goods, hardware and plumbing, printing, internet access, giftware and galleries, rural produce and pet supplies and much more.
• Sport and Recreation
- Mansfield Skatepark is situated in the Football Oval and Sporting Complex grounds, Highett Street, Mansfield, a short walk from the main street.
• Snow sports and All Year Round activities
- Mansfield has several retail outlets catering for winter ski and all-season outdoor recreation requirements. Gear for Autumn, Spring and Summer activities including bushwalking, camping, kayak, canoe and boat hire are supplied also.
• Sports Day
- Tolmie Sports Day - Since 1886, this has been a great day for all ages, in a beautiful bush setting. Equestrian and axemen's events are featured, as well as pedestrian and novelty events. Various stalls sell food and drinks. There is a dance on Saturday night with a live band, at the Tolmie Hall. A fun weekend for everyone. Click for current information.
• Tours, trips and walks
- Local tour operators provide tours of the area all year round - camping and safari trips, fishing trips, 4WD excursions, white water rafting, bushwalking in the high country, and 'made to measure' tours.
- Walks - see Heritage Walk - Rail Trail - Wetlands
- The Mansfield Mullum Wetlands are situated on the left as you enter Mansfield on the Maroondah Highway. The walk starts at the Mansfield Visitor Information Centre, where further information is available.
- Mansfield has many local wineries, each with their own specialities. They offer wine tasting, cellar door sales, and, some, dining as well.
- Experience the festival brought to you by the Upper Goulburn Winegrowers' Association - Upper Goulburn Wine Vintage Celebrations. For more information click here.
- Mansfield Zoo is 9 kms from Mansfield on the Woods Point Road. Open daily 10am. Lion feeding 5pm in school holidays. Information phone: (03) 5777 3576.
Website - www.mansfieldzoo.com.au